Job Title: Executive Director, Wisconsin Conservative Energy Forum (WiCEF)
Reports To: Midwest Regional Director, Conservative Energy Network (CEN)
Compensation: Competitive annual salary commensurate to experience; range: $75,000 – $95,000.
CEN offers a generous benefits package to employees, including medical/dental/vision insurance; life insurance; short and long-term disability; 403(b) retirement plan with an employer match; ample paid time off, including the observance of 11 federal holidays and the week off between December 25-January 1, and paid parental leave.
Location: Madison, WI (remote)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: The Wisconsin Conservative Energy Forum’s Executive Director (ED) Responsible for the executive, day-to-day operations, communications, and programming needs to advance conservative, market-based clean energy solutions in Wisconsin. Working in concert with the CEN Regional Director and the in-state consulting team, the Executive Director will be responsible for the creation and execution of a comprehensive strategic plan for the organization.
In addition, the Executive Director will plan and execute various programs throughout the year, manage communications including content creation, media relations, and WiCEF’s digital presence, and perform administrative functions for day-to-day operations. The Executive Director will be the keystone piece of a small team, enabling this individual to have singular impact on the direction and vision of the organization. Ideal candidates for this position will be highly organized, self-motivating, and excel in an always-evolving work environment that may involve little-to-no direct supervision. The Executive Director must have outstanding verbal and inter-personal communications skills and have exceptional and demonstrated writing and editing skills.
Duties and Responsibilities: The following are essential functions of the position. Other duties may be assigned.
- Collaborate with wide-ranging stakeholders to create and execute a comprehensive strategic plan for the organization.
- Serve as the primary voice and face for the organization in the media, among fellow stakeholders, third-party groups, and in front of policy makers.
- Direct all day-to-day functions of the dynamic statewide organization with an emphasis on growth to advance a conservative clean energy agenda.
- Continue to develop the organization’s leadership council, including the recruitment of new members and the engagement of existing members.
- Conduct a biennial candidate education program, including the development of a questionnaire and such materials to educate policy makers on organizational priorities.
- Conduct in-person candidate education meetings working in concert with allies and other stakeholders.
- Continue to develop and build upon relationships with core constituencies and coalitions within the conservative movement.
- Attend in-state, regional, and national energy conferences to increase knowledge base, network, and increase WiCEF’s brand awareness.
- In consultation with CEN, in-state consultants, and other relevant stakeholders, create an actionable policy agenda aimed at advancing the conservative clean energy cause in Wisconsin at the local and state levels.
- Continually evaluate the policy agenda and regularly provide progress updates to CEN or interested parties, making changes as needed.
- Cultivate durable relationships with key local and state policymakers with an emphasis on pertinent individuals within the Wisconsin executive and legislative branches with the goal of developing them as renewable energy advocates.
- Develop and execute educational opportunities for policymakers and stakeholders on conservative clean and renewable energy ideas which may involve events and/or the creation of digital or tangible collateral materials.
- Manage all administrative functions of WiCEF, including paying all invoices, rent, taxes, etc.
- Successfully maintain the organization’s financial records, including a bank account and tax filing requirements.
- Create an annual budget and track all spending of the organization, providing periodic updates to CEN staff, board members, and other interested parties.
- Create a comprehensive proactive and reactive media strategy for the organization, including digital, paid media, and earned media.
- Keep website and social media accounts up to date with recent news, blog posts, press releases, etc. Monitor site activity and respond to comments as needed.
- Post the latest energy-dated news stories to Facebook and Twitter as well as photos and videos from WiCEF events or events WiCEF is attending.
- Draft press releases, op-eds, LTEs or other pieces of content and pitch to relevant media sources as needed.
- Create and maintain an organizational media list.
- Attend bi-annual Conservative Energy Network conferences, collaborating with all CEN state organizations.
- Participate in regional and national CEN calls on a monthly basis.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed in this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) from four-year college or university in communications, political science, digital media, or another relevant field; at least three to five years of communications, marketing, administration, project management experience and at least one to three years of campaign and/or program management, communications, marketing, policy, or administrative experience is required; master’s degree in political science, management, marketing or communications is preferred.
Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint. Experience with Adobe Suite, which includes InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop, Canva, and/or similar design applications is preferred. Experience with Squarespace, Constant Contact, MailChimp, or other email marketing platforms and familiarity with QuickBooks online is preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents. Ability to prepare and deliver effective speeches and presentations on complex topics to diverse audiences including elected officials and public groups.
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
- Existing relationships in the Wisconsin state government that can be leveraged to advance organizational goals.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
- Exceptional writing/editing skills, experience distilling complicated issue in memos, reports, press releases, and digital communication platforms.
- Prior program management experience with demonstrated ability to meet deliverables on time and on budget.
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills, with the ability to manage and meet deadlines and balance multiple priorities at once.
- Ability to manage budget data, track spending, and create financial reports.
- Rapid retention and comprehension of organization’s prior successes and initiatives.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, interest in learning new skills and eagerness to advance the goals of WiCEF.
- Role requires ability to work some evenings and/or weekends for special events and some travel, including overnight travel.
- Experience working for issue advocacy nonprofits, public affairs firms, political campaigns, or government is preferred.
- Experience working in the energy industry is a plus.
- Fast-paced, dynamic work environment sometimes faced with high-pressure deadlines.
- A supportive and collegial team that encourages creativity and initiative.
- Plenty of opportunities to grow and expand your skillset.
- CEN headquarters is based in Lansing, Michigan but this position will be domiciled in Madison, WI. CEN may accommodate tele-commuting due to COVID-19.
- Role requires ability to work some evenings and/or weekends for special events.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, an employee is required to sit, use hands, and talk or hear. Frequent travel may be required, occasionally overnight. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 5 to 20-pound boxes for events, as needed.