Job Title: Staff Accountant
Reports To: Director of Operations & Organizational Leadership
Compensation: Competitive annual salary commensurate to experience. CEN offers a generous benefits package to employees, including medical/dental/vision insurance; life insurance; short and long-term disability; 403(b) retirement plan with an employer match; ample paid time off, including the observance of 12 federal holidays as well as the week off between December 25-January 1, and paid parental leave.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Work Status: Part-time; Full-time
Pay Grade: TBD
Summary: Responsible for general bookkeeping activities and practices, and for participating in the review and appraisal of financial procedures and records by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities: The following are essential functions of the position. Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Maintain all related accounting and bookkeeping records in a neat and orderly manner.
- Utilizing company’s accounting software, perform all computer data entry to generate and review related reports and routine financial statements monthly, quarterly, and at year-end.
- Maintain accurate national and state-by-state budgets (often broken out per grant), track functional expenses for various grants and annual 990 filing, and provide state directors with monthly budget reports.
- Work with management to ensure proper tracking of grant revenue and expenses per donor, as needed.
- Prepare bank deposit slips and post accurately.
- Prepare monthly journal entries or coordinate with outside accountant to do so.
- Prepare and send out invoices and ensure payments are received in a timely manner.
- Review related reports and financial statements for discrepancies, resolve in a timely manner.
- Work with Director of Operations and COO to prepare accounts payable, process semi-monthly payroll, and mail vendor checks or submit ACH payments as assigned.
- Review reimbursements and employee credit card expenses monthly, post to accounting software.
- Complete monthly bank reconciliations.
- Maintain an accurate bookkeeping balance and inform management of discrepancies or problems immediately.
- Work with company’s auditor to help conduct annual financial audit and file 990 tax forms and state solicitation reports.
- File government, taxes, and compliance requirements as needed.
- Document standard operating procedures and controls, work with Director of Operations to recommend and implement changes to improve efficiency.
- Proactively communicate with team members and leadership regarding financial issues.
- Adhere to all company health and safety and OSHA procedures, standards, and guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with company policies, best practices, and GAAP.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This role does not supervise employees.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Certificates and Licenses:
- CPA desired, but extensive years of experience as a bookkeeper will suffice.
College degree required; minimum five to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint is necessary. Experience with bookkeeping software (such as QuickBooks), payroll and expense reimbursement software, customer relationship management software, and email marketing platforms is preferred. Employee is expected to use standard office equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
- Experience in non-profit and/or grant accounting a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in successful financial management.
- Ability to work remotely with limited supervision.
- Collaborative nature and team player.
- Adept problem-solving skills.
- Honesty and integrity.
- High emotional intelligence.
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills, with the ability to manage and meet deadlines and balance multiple priorities at once.
- Willingness to help audit, create, and improve organizational processes and procedures.
- Budget creation and thorough bookkeeping experience, with the ability to create advanced financial reports and track several budgets.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, interest in learning new skills, desire to engage with clean energy and climate change, and eagerness to advance the organization’s mission.
- Culture is important at our organization. CEN staff members are responsible for the near and long-term success of the organization and hold themselves to be accountable to one another. With an insistence on respect for all, we provide our team with opportunities to have fun while making a significant difference in our nation’s clean energy future.
- Fast-paced, dynamic work environment with competing deadlines.
- A supportive and collegial team that encourages creativity and initiative.
- Professional development opportunities to grow and expand your skillset.
- While CEN headquarters is based in Lansing, Michigan, members of the team work remotely from various parts of the country. CEN welcomes applicants regardless of location and will accommodate tele-commuting.
- Role requires limited travel.
Ability to read and interpret complex documents. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups.
Ability to effectively solve complex problems in a variety of situations and by deadline. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 5 to 20-pound boxes for events, as needed.